Creating real impact for SAZ through value driven care program with LOGEX
The Vereniging van Samenwerkende Algemene Ziekenhuizen (Association of Collaborating General Hospitals), or SAZ, is a group of 28, general hospitals, in the Netherlands. SAZ’s mission is to provide high quality, comprehensive and affordable care for its patients. Part of this involves learning from each other and leveraging collaboration to uplift the care and quality life of residents in the region.
In 2018, SAZ wanted to further facilitate best practice sharing among its hospitals. They strive to make it as easy as possible for the hospitals within their network to share their outcome and cost data around patient groups in a comparable way, without additional registration burden, while complying to all regulations, incl GDPR.
We strive to give our medical professionals insight into the outcomes and costs of our patients, without increasing the already heavy registration burdenSAZ
Value Driven Care program
Therefore, the SAZ hospitals created its ‘Value Driven Care’ program together with Value2Health, part of the LOGEX Group, in 2018. The program started with two patient groups, and is adding new patient groups every year. Currently there are programs for: colorectal cancer, hip fracture, breast cancer, inguinal hernia, cholecystectomy, pregnancy and childbirth, heart failure.
LOGEX, in close collaboration with the SAZ program team, enables hospitals in SAZ’s network to:
- Start gaining insight into outcomes and costs for a specific patient group without collecting any new data: with explicit consent of the participating hospitals, LOGEX uses existing data from Dutch quality registries (such as from DICA and Perined), plus process/cost information from claims and financial data.
- Compare outcome and cost performance over time and against other participating hospitals, visualized in a dashboard, revealing improvement potential.
- Dive deeper into patient-level data to assess the reason behind certain scores, while complying with GDPR standards, by showing only aggregated subsets not traceable directly to individual patients.
- Discuss results transparently and openly with other medical professionals from peer hospitals, via joint reflection sessions organized for every patient group every 6 months.
- Learn from best practices and initiate improvement efforts from conversations on shared insights.
Improvement in performance
The program quickly led to success for the SAZ network and all participating hospitals benefited from improvements in their performance:
- Great enthusiasm and active best practice sharing: doctors, nurses, obstetricians, paramedics and program managers actively participate in reflection sessions (digitally during Covid-19), which has led to working visits between hospitals to learn from each other.
- Highly rated reflection sessions: 8 or higher, with 20-40% giving a 9 or a 10 (out of 10).
Clarity delivered, value maximized with LOGEX
Contact LOGEX to find out what we can do for you, or learn how to optimize the value of the care you deliver.